This website does not list all publishing technology companies and has a bias towards the technologies used by scholarly and academic society publishers. Society publishers tend to have a fairly broad remit so you’ll also find some Open Science services, and various research tools listed along with Journalism Tech, EdTech, AdTech, Marketing Tech companies listed.
Here’s a rough guide to the overlaps between datasets (done by eyeballing the lists):
- Around 80% of Bianca Kramer and Jeroen Bosman’s list of tools used by researchers dataset is covered by this database. General services like Google Docs, GitHub and BitBucket are usually not included here.
- Around 75% of the projects in the ReimagineReview registry are included here.
- Around 90% of tools in Lettie Y. Conrad’s JROST OSS research list are included here.
- There’s probably less than 5% overlap between the services in the LabWorm Directory and services listed here
- Around 90% of the tools listed on the Connected Researchers website can be found on this website.
- Less than 10% of the companies on Michael Bhaskar’s Digital Publishing Startups list are listed here.
- Around 80% of companies in Yvonne Campfens What’s become… of new entrants in research workflows and scholarly communication? long list are included here.
- I’m missing a couple of the 52 projects listed in The MIT Press Mind The Gap landscape analysis of open source publishing tools and platforms
- Around 10% of the tools in Daniela Duca and Katie Metzler’s report on technologies for social science research are included here. The overlap is mostly citizen science projects.
- Around 5% of the suppliers listed in InPublising’s Publishing Services Directory are listed here.